How common is temporomandibular joint and muscle disorder (TMJ)?

By some estimates, temporomandibular joint and muscle disorder (TMJ) is fairly common, affecting more than 10 million people in the U.S. You may be more likely to get TMJ if you have rheumatoid arthritis, chronic fatigue syndrome, or fibromyalgia. Women are affected more often than men. Most people with TMJ are between the ages of 20 and 40.

Temporomandibular joint and muscle disorders are quite common. It is estimated that between 10 and 35 million Americans suffer from TMJ. Statistics indicate that women are impacted by TMJ more often than men.

Continue Learning about Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ)

If my jaw pops or clicks, does that mean I have TMJ?
John Van der Werff, DDSJohn Van der Werff, DDS
TMJ is a group of conditions related to the TMJ. Popping and clicking can be one of the signs of TMJ...
What is temporomandibular joint dysfunction (TMJ/TMD)?
It is a dysfunction that is related to the joint between the lower jaw and head which is right in fr...
Is temporomandibular joint and muscle disorder (TMJ) serious?
Temporomandibular joint and muscle disorder (TMJ) causes mild to severe pain in the jaw joint an...
How are temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease and dystonia related?
Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)Dystonia Medical Research Foundation (DMRF)
Temporomandibular joint (TMJ) disease is an arthritic condition, not a dystonia. Oromandibular dysto...