How does Synthroid (levothyroxine) treat goiters?

Synthroid (levothyroxine) treats goiters by reducing the levels of thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH, also called thyrotropin). TSH is produced in the pituitary gland, and it makes the thyroid gland produce more hormones. TSH stimulates the growth of thyroid cells, which can enlarge the thyroid gland and result in a goiter. Lowering TSH levels has the opposite effect, thereby reducing the size of goiters.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?