How should I take levothyroxine?

You should take levothyroxine with plenty of water, since the medicine can lodge in the throat. Take levothyroxine at the same time daily, at least half an hour before eating anything. Follow your doctor's dosage and timing instructions exactly. If you need to give levothyroxine to a small child, you can crush the pill and mix it with a small amount of water. Never use infant formula or food. Do not make the mixture ahead of time and store it. Give the mixture to the child using a dropper or a spoon.
Be sure to keep regular appointments with your doctor. Blood will need to be tested regularly to make sure that the levothyroxine is working properly. Kidney and liver functions may need to be tested periodically.

Levothyroxine is most effective when taken on an empty stomach. Typically 1 hour before food or 2 hours after eating qualifies as an 'empty stomach as a general practice guideline’. This may be where the 3 hour window is recommended from your doctor. The drug should be taken at the same time every day and on an empty stomach.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?