Is there a generic version of levothyroxine?

Several versions of generic levothyroxine exist. Some generic versions are equivalent to certain brand versions of levothyroxine, and some are not. For example, Synthroid and Levoxyl are considered pharmaceutically equal to each other and to certain other levothyroxine products. However, most doctors will prefer that you consistently use the same brand of levothyroxine once you and your doctor determine which version and dosage is best for you. Doctors prefer this consistency because levothyroxine has a "narrow therapeutic index," which means that very small differences in dosage can cause very large differences in its effects on the body.

Continue Learning about Thyroid Supplement

Are palpitations a side effect of thyroid supplement?
Omudhome Ogbru, PharmDOmudhome Ogbru, PharmD
Thyroid hormone affects the function of the heart and other organs. Too much thyroid hormone may inc...
Can I Safely Take an Acid Reducer and My Thyroid Medication Together?