Why should I have my thyroid tested if I have hot flashes?

You should have your thyroid tested if you have hot flashes because hot flashes can be a symptom of hyperthyroidism. Having your thyroid tested could rule out thyroid issues as a cause of your hot flashes.

Dr. Julia Schlam Edelman
OBGYN (Obstetrician & Gynecologist)

Thyroid disease is the most common cause of hot flashes other than menopause. Sometimes hot flashes may be caused by a combination of thyroid disease and perimenopause. An underactive thyroid may cause hot flashes and night sweats, weight gain and irregular menstrual periods. When the thyroid condition is treated, all of these symptoms may vanish. It is important to check whether thyroid disease is present before deciding a woman is experiencing perimenopause.

Blood tests check the thyroid function and reveal if it is sluggish or overactive. While hot flashes due to perimenopause may be simply watched, thyroid disease must be identified and treated to avoid serious complications affecting the rest of the body.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

Should I talk to my doctor about my thyroid cyst symptoms?
Although most thyroid cysts are not serious, you should talk to your doctor about your symptoms. You...
Should I have my thyroid checked if I can't lose weight?
It is worth having your thyroid checked if you can't lose weight, especially if there are associated...
How Do I Recognize a Thyroid Disease in My Child or Adolescent?
What Are Effective Treatments for an Underactive Thyroid?