Do thyroid cysts affect children differently than adults?

Thyroid cysts are a type of thyroid nodule or lump, and children develop thyroid nodules less often than adults do. However, some studies have shown that thyroid nodules are more likely to be malignant in children, so it is important to have your child's doctor confirm that that thyroid nodule is a benign cyst and not something more serious. Your child's doctor can confirm that the thyroid cyst is benign by conducting a simple biopsy. The doctor might also use an imaging procedure called an ultrasound to look at the shape and structure of the cyst. The treatment for children with thyroid nodules is the same as it is for adults.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

What are thyroid cysts?
A thyroid cyst is a fluid collection lined by epithelial cells. This may be a part of a larger struc...
How often should I follow up with my doctor about my thyroid cysts?
If your doctor has confirmed that your thyroid cysts are benign and are small enough to manage with ...
What Causes Hypothyroidism?
What Causes Hypothyroidism?
Why Do Women Get Thyroid Nodules?
Why Do Women Get Thyroid Nodules?