Can thyroid cysts be prevented?

No, thyroid cysts cannot be prevented. Nobody knows for sure what causes thyroid cysts or thyroid nodules (lumps) in general. However, some experts think that people who do not get enough iodine in their diets might be more susceptible to thyroid nodules, and ensuring that your intake of iodine is adequate is always a good idea. The most common sources of dietary iodine are iodized table salt, dairy products, and fish.

Continue Learning about Thyroid

What should I expect from a biopsy for my thyroid cysts?
Thyroid cysts are usually diagnosed with a simple procedure called a fine needle aspiration biopsy. ...
Why is iodine important for the thyroid gland?
American Association of Endocrine SurgeonsAmerican Association of Endocrine Surgeons
The thyroid gland uses iodine from the diet to make thyroid hormone. Thyroid hormone is stored in th...
How Do I Recognize a Thyroid Disease in My Child or Adolescent?
What Your Temperature Says About Your Thyroid