When should I get tested for thyroid dysfunction?

The thyroid gland is an important organ that secretes a hormone (thyroid hormone), which controls the body's metabolism. Thyroid hormone affects many bodily functions including heart contractility, gastrointestinal motility and bone mineralization/turnover, among others. These functions are increased in patients who have hyperthyroidism, and decreased in patients with hypothyroidism. Symptoms of hyperthyroidism include palpitations, insomnia or weight loss, while hypothyroid patients may have fatigue, weight gain, dry skin or constipation. If you have any of these symptoms, you should go to your healthcare provider for a thorough history and physical exam. Your provider will use information gained from such an evaluation to determine if testing is right for you.

For more information go the endocrinediseases.org:

Thyroid gland: background, thyroid function

You should get tested for thyroid dysfunction if you have symptoms that may be due to an overactive or underactive thyroid such as:

• weight loss/gain
  • palpitations
  • dry skin
  • hair changes
  • intolerance to heat/cold
  • changes in energy

Continue Learning about Thyroid Disorders

Beware Before Taking Thyroid Supplements
When Alice, in Alice in Wonderland, downed the “Eat Me” pill, she immediately experienced the negative side effects of taking a med with unidentified ...
What does a benign pathology result for a thyroid nodule mean?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A benign pathology result for a thyroid nodule means that the nodule is not a cancer. Most thyroid n...
What are the side effects of thyroid surgery?
The most common side effect of thyroid surgery is hypothyroidism where the thyroid does not produce ...
What Foods Should I Avoid If I Have an Underactive Thyroid?