What are throat disorders?

There is a wide range of different conditions that can affect your throat, or pharynx, and these are called throat disorders. These disorders can occur from a wide range of causes and vary in severity, but the most common throat disorder is a sore throat resulting from a viral infection. Bacterial infections, especially strep throat, are also common. Gastric reflux and allergies can cause throat problems. There are also cancers that affect the throat, the most frequently occurring of which is squamous cell carcinoma.

Picture of pharynx and larynx

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
What is the treatment for Zenker's diverticulum?
Arlen D. Meyers, MDArlen D. Meyers, MD
Zenker's Diverticulum is an out pouching of the feeding tube (esophagus) usually where it meets the ...
Are colloid thyroid nodules serious?
Colloid thyroid nodules are not necessarily serious, but can lead to a more serious condition. If th...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?