How is a rapid antigen test used to diagnose throat disorders?

A rapid antigen test is a faster way to diagnose a throat disorder than the more traditional way of attempting to grow the bacteria in a throat culture. After a doctor swabs the throat, it takes only a few minutes to complete the test. A positive rapid antigen test strongly confirms that a bacterial infection is present. However, a negative test does not rule out infection. Doctors will often also do a throat culture, if the test is negative.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

What could cause a lump in my throat?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Doctors sometimes use the term "globus sensation" for the feeling of a lump in the throat. It's ...
Are throat disorders similar in adults and children?
Throat disorders are basically similar in adults and children. However, different ages are affected ...
How is a rapid DNA test used to diagnose throat disorders?
A rapid DNA test is similar to a throat culture in how it tests for the presence of bacteria in the ...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?