How do I care for a child with a bacterial throat infection?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

If your child has a bacterial throat infection, you should make sure they get treatment with antibiotics as ordered. The antibiotics should resolve the worst symptoms in a day or two. While you wait, make sure your child is rested and hydrated. Keep them home from school for a day or two. Do something nice and quiet with them to keep them occupied and their minds off their symptoms.

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics

Bacterial throat infections can be strep throat which is very painful to children. If your child has a sore throat that is particularly bad or which lasts for more than a few days, take them to see their pediatrician. They will need to get checked for strep. A throat swab will be taken and a rapid strep test done. If the rapid test is negative, a throat culture will be watched for two days. 

If either of the tests show your child has strep, antibiotics are needed. For strep throat, antibiotics are given not simply to relieve the sore throat, but mostly to prevent the many complications like scarlet fever, or rheumatic heart disease. 

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
What is swallowing re-training and when is it used?
Shari GreenShari Green
Dr. Lee has already addressed one aspect of swallow retraining. However, I would love to elaborate m...
Are colloid thyroid nodules serious?
Colloid thyroid nodules are not necessarily serious, but can lead to a more serious condition. If th...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?