How do over-the-counter pain relievers treat bacterial throat infections?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Over-the-counter (OTC) pain relievers cannot directly treat bacterial throat infections. Antibiotics are necessary to actually kill the bacteria causing the infection. However, OTC pain relievers can be a useful way to treat the symptoms of throat infections while waiting for the antibiotics to kick in. Ibuprofen and acetaminophen are the primary drugs used. It is not a good idea to give aspirin to your child with a throat infection. Make sure to follow the recommended dosage on the labels of these drugs; it is possible to overdose.

Continue Learning about Throat Disorders

How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
How to Eat Healthy When You Have TED
Thyroid Eye Disease (TED) is a condition that usually develops in people with an overactive thyroid (hyperthyroidism) caused by an autoimmune disorder...
How is panendoscopy used to diagnose throat disorders?
Panendoscopy (a tube inserted through your mouth and each part of the esophagus, stomach and duodenu...
Will I be able to whistle after a laryngectomy?
Betty Long, RN, MHABetty Long, RN, MHA
Months ago, I worked with a man who had a recurrence of his throat cancer and needed to have a total...
When Should I Have My Tonsils Looked at?