How do I care for someone with throat cancer?

Taking care of someone with throat cancer can mean helping with daily activities, or it can mean providing emotional support. You may be asked to take the person to doctor's appointments, for example. If the person you are caring for cant perform their regular household chores, you may need to take over. Sometimes the most important thing a caregiver can do is be there for the person and listen to them. Remember to take good care of yourself too. Feeling your best will help you to take better care of your loved one.

W. Chad Spanos, MD
Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
Hydration, nutrition and pain control – those are the keys for caring for a throat cancer patient. Check out this video with Dr. Chad about a single move that can increase your loved one's chances of survival.

Continue Learning about Throat Cancer

Is throat cancer serious?
Like all cancers, throat cancer is considered a serious disease. Treatments such as surgery, radiati...
What should I ask my doctor if I'm diagnosed with throat cancer?
Eric M. Genden, MDEric M. Genden, MD
Ask your doctor what the cause of your throat cancer is and what the options for treatment are. In t...
What is throat cancer?
Throat cancer refers to several types of cancers that affect different parts of the throat. Cancer o...
Can people with throat cancer participate in research studies?
A variety of clinical trials are being conducted for people with throat cancer who wish to participa...