What are some specific leg exercises for tennis?

Leg strengthening exercises for tennis include squats, lunges, hamstring curls, and dead lifts. Rather than just using machines for strengthening, add functional movements that mimic your tennis actions on the court. You can do them using body weight, dumbbells, cables, and weighted balls. Some of the movements that are tennis specific include lunges in all directions: straight out to the side, forty-five degrees, straight ahead, and even to the back at a forty-five degree angle. Challenge your balance with single-leg dead lifts and squats. This is especially helpful to very young or old players that struggle with balance and coordination issues. Explosive movements that incorporate upper and lower-body movements, such as squat throws with a weighted ball and ball throws with a closed and open stance, train the hips and trunk for power development. All of these exercises will strengthen your game and help prevent injuries.

Continue Learning about Tennis

What can I do to decrease pain in my wrist while playing tennis?
Make sure you have the right racket size and weight, do wrist and grip exercises, and look into ...
Is tennis an aerobic or anaerobic sport?
Tennis is mainly an aerobic sport because of the length of the rest between games and sets. Howe...
How often should I stretch while training for tennis?
If general health is the main goal, engage in stretching three to five times a week. Athletes re...
How can I decrease the risk of lower-back injury from tennis?
The main causes of back injuries when playing tennis are overuse of your lower-back muscles, an ...