Can behavior therapy help treat bruxism?

Behavior therapy is sometimes used to treat bruxism; the person is taught how to position their mouth correctly to avoid clenching and grinding. These movements can be avoided by keeping the lips together, teeth separate, and tongue touching the roof of the mouth. This position must be practiced over and over so that it becomes easy and natural. Biofeedback is a specific type of therapy that may help treat bruxism.
Modifying behavior can help in preventing or treating bruxism. Bruxism or teeth grinding is often the result of stress or anxiety. If stress is the cause you need to find a way to relax. Meditation, counseling and exercise can all help reduce stress and anxiety.

Continue Learning about Teeth Grinding (Bruxism)

Which muscles are involved in teeth grinding?
Tooth grinding results from unconscious movement of the primary chewing muscles. Watch the animation...
Should I talk to my doctor about my teeth grinding (bruxism) symptoms?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
If you suspect you are grinding your teeth, schedule an appointment with your dentist. Your dentist ...
Is my child at risk for periodontal disease if he grinds his teeth?
Teeth grinding, or bruxism, can cause chips and cracks in teeth. Mothers are in a good position to m...
Relief for Grinding Teeth
Relief for Grinding Teeth