How can I help my child develop spirituality?

As a parent, it's important to provide your children with a spiritual life. Researchers find that high schoolers who perceive religion as important in their lives are less likely to smoke, drink and use marijuana. Religion is important in many ways: boosting kids' self-esteem, providing a sense of community and offering a healthy option for problem solving. Self-esteem matters in other ways as well: girls with high self-esteem are much less likely to have sex at a young age than those who think little of themselves.
Recent research suggests that one of the biggest influences on how a child develops emotionally is how grounded he is spiritually. In this context, spirituality doesn't refer to religion but to having a sense of one's place in the universe. For a child, this means how she fits into her immediate community -- her family -- as well as progressively larger communities she is exposed to (her neighborhood, her school, and so on). How can a parent help achieve this? Lots of ways, like creating family rituals around birthdays and holidays, participating in community events like parades, and volunteering as a family to help those less fortunate.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Teens Emotional Health

When Too Many Friends May Backfire
When Too Many Friends May Backfire
The 2010 movie The Social Network traces Harvard student Mark Zuckerberg’s controversial (just ask the Winklevoss twins) launching of Facebook and rev...
What can I do to help my teen be happy?
Dr. Sheila DunnellsDr. Sheila Dunnells
Step one is to rule out any physical reasons for unhappiness, i.e., depression. Also, assess if ther...
What are common mean-girl tactics?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Relational aggression begins in earnest around third and fourth grade and is at its peak around ...
Why Do Teens Cut Themselves?
Why Do Teens Cut Themselves?