How can I help my child develop spirituality?

As a parent, it's important to provide your children with a spiritual life. Researchers find that high schoolers who perceive religion as important in their lives are less likely to smoke, drink and use marijuana. Religion is important in many ways: boosting kids' self-esteem, providing a sense of community and offering a healthy option for problem solving. Self-esteem matters in other ways as well: girls with high self-esteem are much less likely to have sex at a young age than those who think little of themselves.
Recent research suggests that one of the biggest influences on how a child develops emotionally is how grounded he is spiritually. In this context, spirituality doesn't refer to religion but to having a sense of one's place in the universe. For a child, this means how she fits into her immediate community -- her family -- as well as progressively larger communities she is exposed to (her neighborhood, her school, and so on). How can a parent help achieve this? Lots of ways, like creating family rituals around birthdays and holidays, participating in community events like parades, and volunteering as a family to help those less fortunate.
YOU: Raising Your Child: The Owner's Manual from First Breath to First Grade

There’s little doubt that parenting can be one of the most rewarding and satisfying experiences you’ll ever have. But it can be plenty tough, too: Around the clock, you’re working to keep your...

Continue Learning about Teens Emotional Health

Teen Depression: How Parents Can Offer Support
Depression can be hard on anyone, but it’s especially tough to watch your own child go through it. And while it is a serious mental health issue that’...
Why should I monitor my child's online activities?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
You should monitor your child's online activities, because the internet is an extension of the real ...
What are some rules for my child to follow when using Facebook?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Only a parent knows their child well enough to decide if their teen is ready and mature enough t...
As a Teen, How Do I Stop Cutting Myself?