What may my child's doctor prescribe for precocious puberty?

Your child's pediatrician has various options in prescribing a medication for central precocious puberty (CPP). This condition occurs when the pituitary glands release hormones early and a young child enters puberty sooner than expected. Your child's doctor or healthcare provider may prescribe a histrelin subcutaneous implant called Supprelin LA. This prescription medication is similar to gonadotropin releasing hormone (GnRH) and will improve symptoms. Another treatment, usually includes a monthly injection of a medication, such as leuprolide (Lupron Depot), which delays further development. Synarel, a nasal spray, is another treatment option. If you have any questions about CPP, talk with your doctor to better understand this condition.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

As a teen, what causes my urine to have a strong smell?
A strong smell (and bright yellow urine) usually means you are running dry, or need to be drinki...
As a teen, at what age will I stop growing?
Ellen Rome, MDEllen Rome, MD
Bodies and minds often don't fully develop until one's early 20s. In this video, Drs. Roizen, Oz...
What is the epidermis layer of skin?
The epidermis is the outside layer of the skin and is made up of proteins called keratin. It has...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?