As a teen, what is the function of cilia in the lungs?

Your airways are lined with millions of tiny hairs called cilia. These act like little brooms that sweep up to your mouth and nose all the stuff that’s caught in your mucus. They’re fast-action sweepers, like high-speed windshield wipers--constantly moving back and forth to clear your lungs of nasty stuff that makes its way in with every breath. Cigarette smoke kills cilia, destroying the very mechanism that’s meant to protect your lungs from toxins.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Understanding Anatomy

How does the human jaw work?
Your top teeth are fixed to your skull, while your lower jaw has the flexibility to move front to ...
As a teen, how can I make my boobs bigger?
Stuart A. Linder, MDStuart A. Linder, MD
It is generally the standard of care in the United States Not to perform breast enhancement surgery ...
Why do I get swollen glands when I have a cold?
Swollen glands are actually lymph nodes, which are found in the neck, armpits, groin and other place...
As a Teen, Is It Normal to Have Vaginal Discharge?