How can college-related stress affect my body?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
When you experience a stressful event, your brain releases chemicals into your bloodstream to help your body cope with the anxiety and fear that result from a perceived threat. Adrenaline is one of those chemicals. When it is released, your body goes into high gear, preparing to deal with the potential danger. This reflexive reaction to stress is known as fight or flight, since our instinctual response to danger is either to engage in battle, or to split. This response is triggered not only when a lion is about to pounce on you, as some of our ancestors experienced. Being anxious about a final exam, an oral presentation, or walking into yet another roomful of unfamiliar faces is enough to set off alarms of danger in our bodies. The muscles in your neck, shoulders, and face may stiffen, creating a kind of internal armor. You may notice your heart racing, your body temperature increasing, your hands getting clammy, or your breath becoming short. These are signs that your body is preparing itself to fight -- or to run for its life.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Stress and Depression

As a teen, what are the benefits of deep breathing?
Deep breathing through your nose helps transport nitric oxide--a very potent lung and blood vess...
What are some unhelpful ways teens deal with stress?
Gina M. BiegelGina M. Biegel
Not all ways of coping with stress are helpful. Some people engage in unhelpful behaviors, perha...
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?
As a Teenager, What Should I Do When I'm Really Depressed?