As a teen, what are the benefits of deep breathing?

Deep breathing through your nose helps transport nitric oxide--a very potent lung and blood vessel dilator that resides in your nasal passages--to your lungs, making your lungs and blood vessels function better. Taking deep breaths helps your lungs go from 98 percent saturation of oxygen to 100 percent saturation of oxygen, and that little 2 percent can sometimes make a big difference in how you feel.

Another benefit is that it helps improve the drainage of your lymphatic system, which removes toxins from your body. Of course, it also helps relieve stress—the deep breaths act as a minimeditation. Shifting to slower breathing in times of tension can help calm you and allow you to perform at higher levels both physically and mentally.   

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Stress and Depression

How can I control my anger as a teen?
Raychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPCRaychelle C. Lohmann, MS, LPC
The Steps to Teen Anger ManagementFirst, kudos to you for asking the question. You’ve just pass...
As a teen, how can I cope with the death of my parent?
Niamh van MeinesNiamh van Meines
It's often a very difficult time in their lives for teens to lose one of their parents. Teens should...
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?
Why Do Some Teens Cut Themselves?
As a Teenager, What Should I Do When I'm Really Depressed?