As a teen, what can help me focus on schoolwork?

Gina M. Biegel
You can bring mindful awareness to anything you do, including your schoolwork. Follow these steps to help you center yourself before you begin your homework or start to take a test. If you find yourself getting tense or stressed while in the middle of your work, you can repeat this process at any time.
  • Get into a comfortable sitting position.
  • Place your hands in your lap or on your desk.
  • Open your ears to the sounds you notice and allow yourself to be in the room right here, right now.
  • Place one or both of your hands on your stomach. Without changing your breath, notice how your stomach gently rises on the in-breath and falls on the out-breath.
  • Take five slow, calm breaths.
  • Notice how your body feels.
  • If you feel anxious (or have any other feelings that aren’t helpful), take one deep breath. As you release this breath, imagine that you are gently breathing out these feelings.
  • Take your next breath and picture ease and peace coming in.
  • See yourself taking your entire test or doing all of your homework assignment with ease.
  • Imagine yourself gently putting down your pen or pencil when you are done and congratulating yourself on putting forth the effort and doing your best. If you like, you can actually congratulate yourself and even say to yourself that you are intelligent.
  • You are now ready to begin your test or homework assignment. If you feel stuck,
  • remember that you can take another breath at any time or even repeat the whole process.
The Stress Reduction Workbook for Teens: Mindfulness Skills to Help You Deal with Stress (Instant Help Solutions)

First, the bad news: your teenage years are some of the most stressful of your life. Up to 70 percent of teens say they're stressed out, and with pressure about grades at school, parents who just...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: School and Time Management

What is a healthy, natural way to stay awake when studying at college?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Emergen-C packets are effervescent, single serving packets of energy you can use while studying ...
Can I get into college if I'm home-schooled?
Stephanie AdamsStephanie Adams
DEFINITELY! I did. I was home-schooled and not only got into college but into a master's program in ...
How much would a private school for me as a teen?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Private schools range in cost from just under $5,000 per year to well over $25,000 per year for High...
How do learning disabilities affect school performance?
It is not completely understood what causes learning disabilities, but the effects on school perform...