Why do I need protein as a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
Proteins provide the building blocks, called amino acids and polypeptides, of all muscle tissue. Eating enough protein keeps your muscles strong and powerful and your basal metabolism high (the number of calories you burn when you're doing nothing). Protein is also your "brain food." Because your brain is one big muscle, not getting enough protein can hurt brain function. For example, the different parts of your brain communicate to one another through neurotransmitters, chemical signals that require polypeptides to form. A deficiency in protein can mean that brain functioning suffers.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

How does drinking at college affect my health?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
Lawn parties, frat parties, club parties -- you can find a party any night of the week, if you'r...
As a teen, how can I avoid gaining weight when I go to college?
Starting college calls for a whole new set of "routines."  From getting up for class, food choices...
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium