What are the best fruits to snack on at college?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
These are some of the foods I was able to find easily at my college, either at the campus food store or at a nearby convenience store. Buying them regularly didn't break the bank. The ones that needed preparation involved merely adding hot water or using the small communal kitchen downstairs, and the perishable items were easy to store.

Apples
Applesauce, unsweetened
Apricots
Bananas
Blackberries
Blueberries
Cherries
Cranberries
Figs
Grapefruit
Grapes
Kiwi
Lemon
Lime
Mangoes
Melon
Nectarines
Oranges
Papaya
Peaches
Pears
Pineapple
Plums
Raspberries
Strawberries
Tangelo
Tangerines
Watermelon

Remember, you should eat all fruit raw, whenever possible. Dried fruit has an abundance of condensed sugar, and stewed or packaged fruits often have had sugar added. If you can't store or don't like raw fruit, go for the dehydrated kind (for example, JustFruit bars) or have a little dried fruit with no sugar added.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...
Marisa Moore

Opt for seasonal fruit whenever possible. Choose fruits that don’t have to be refrigerated and that tend to have a longer shelf life. There are lots of options, so go for the ones that that look good and are on sale this week.  Try these for starters...

• Bananas
  • Apples
  • Pears
  • Oranges
  • Peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums
  • Kiwi, mangoes
  • Dried wild blueberries, cherries, mangoes and others (no sugar added)

These are all backpack-friendly but to keep it in tip-top shape, carry the fruit in a lunch bag.  If you peel, cut or slice the fruit, make sure you keep it refrigerated at 40°F or eat it within 2 hours to keep it safe.

If you have a refrigerator in your dorm room, stock it with apples, oranges, clemetines, and grapes. Bananas don't need to be refrigerated. You can also buy individual size canned fruit, packed in juice, at a local supermarket.

Picture of fruit

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

How can I get my college to serve healthy food?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
You can start promoting healthy food by getting your college or university administration to spe...
How can I get a healthy meal in the school cafeteria?
Deborah BeauvaisDeborah Beauvais
Here is some information and tips to ensure and enjoyable healthy meal at school.School meals are he...
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
As a Teen, Should I Drink Energy Drinks?