How can a low-carb diet affect a teen's weight?

Judy Caplan

Teens are like bees, they gravitate to sweets! Too many fried and processed foods are high in carbs and can add unwanted pounds to a teenage body. Reducing carbs can cause teens to drop weight or just stop gaining weight. Carbs are also found in fruits and vegetables, beans, and whole grains. These are the best carbs for teens. Teens need carbs for energy but do not need to overload on the more refined carbs.

Melinda Johnson

The low-carb diet is typically considered a fad diet by most health professionals. Fad diets usually produce some weight loss in the short term - the problem is that most people re-gain that weight, plus more! There are also studies that indicate when kids and teens engage in fad dieting, they develop a poor relationship with food and a negative body image. In the end, the fad diet fails them in more ways than one. 

The teen years are a perfect time to begin learning self-care that will help the teen grow into the adult weight they were meant to be. This means learning how to prepare simple, healthy meals,  how to fit in enjoyable exercise, and how to make sure they are getting enough sleep. These are also great years to learn what kind of habits are contributing to too much weight - this might be a daily soda habit, or eating out of boredom. These are the truly meaningful lifestyle changes that will help the teen become healthier for good.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Nutrition and Healthy Eating

What Should I Feed My Teen for Breakfast?
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
Why Teenagers Should Watch Their Sodium
As a Teen, What Can Protein Powder Do for Me?
As a Teen, Can I Be Healthy If I'm a Vegetarian?