How should I do the downward dog yoga pose as a teen?

Daphne Oz
Health Education
To do down dog incline chest push-ups: (This move is taken from a basic yoga routine.) Start off by standing with your feet flat on the floor and bend over to touch the floor. Put your palms flat on the floor, bending at the knees if you need to. Then walk your feet out behind you until you are in a pyramid position, with your palms on the floor and your feet as close to flat on the floor as possible. The trick to this pose is to push back into your heels so that you feel a stretch (not an ouch!) in the back of your thighs (hamstrings); you will simultaneously be working the muscles in your upper arms and shoulders. Depending on how flexible you are, you might need to come up onto your toes to relieve the stretch in your hamstrings. Slowly bring your body parallel to the floor by walking your feet backward. Bend your arms, keeping your elbows close to your sides, and lower your body to about an inch off the floor. Hold for 5 seconds. Then go back to the down dog (pyramid) position by walking your feet forward again. Repeat this 10 times.
The Dorm Room Diet: The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really Works

The 10-Step Program for Creating a Healthy Lifestyle Plan That Really WorksThe Dorm Room DietRevised and Updated EditionFiguring out how to eat right and stay healthy on your own can be hard! Here is...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Exercise and Physical Fitness

As a teen, how can I make exercise less boring?
You don’t have to do formal exercise to get the benefits. Find something that makes your workout fee...
How should I do push-ups as a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
To do an upper push-up: Lie down on your stomach and put your hands palms down and shoulder-widt...
How should a teen treat a blister on their foot?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Any blister on the foot should be kept as clean and dry as possible. Cover the blister with a bandag...
What Are Some Exercises I Can Do In My Dorm Room or Bedroom?