What can I do about bullying at school?

Always enlist your friends--there’s support in numbers. And maybe your parents.

You should talk to your parents--not so that they’ll step in, necessarily, but so they can give you some strategies that will work for you. If you fear being beaten up, enroll in some martial arts classes to gain some skills. If you fear name calling and lack of respect, you’ll actually get more respect in the long run if you stand up to the bullies. Another strategy: Ignore the bullying and try to project a feeling of self-confidence. Most bullying is done to get some kind of reaction, and most bullies won’t pick on those who project strength.

YOU: The Owner's Manual for Teens: A Guide to a Healthy Body and Happy Life

A few years ago, we wrote YOU: The Owner’s Manual, which taught people about the inner workings of their bodies—and how to keep them running strong. But you know what? There’s a big difference...

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Bullying

How can a child use social networks to cyberbully another child?
Shawn EdgingtonShawn Edgington
Many cyberbullies are using social networks such as MySpace, Facebook, and YouTube. They build a pro...
How can I deal with a bully at my school?
Bonnie Lynn Wright, PhDBonnie Lynn Wright, PhD
Bullies are abusers and abuse is about power and control. If you take that away, the bully will flee...
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Is Your Kid a Cyberbully?
Should You Worry About Sibling Bullying?