What can I do to rein in my child's bossiness?

Michele Borba

Here is a behavior makeover to help curb a child's bossy streak.

One of the best ways is to teach a few oldie but goodies that emphasize the golden rules of fairness so bossy kids start to consider the needs of others.

Grandma's Rule: If you cut the cake, the other child chooses which piece to take. No take backs: One the rules of a game or trade agreed, you may not take back the object or changing the rules unless the other person agrees. Then shake on it. Teach younger kids to set an oven timer or stop watch. They agree to a fair amount of time for using a toy, and when the timer goes off, their turn is up and the toy is passed on.

Of course, the best way to help kids curb their bossiness is by emphasizing the skills of give and take like compromising and negotiating. And the best way to teach them is by modeling them so your child can copy from you.

Whatever you try remember to consistently use the method until you do get the change you want.

The Big Book of Parenting Solutions: 101 Answers to Your Everyday Challenges and Wildest Worries

Today show's Michele Borba's cures for difficult childhood behaviors In this down-to-earth guide, parenting expert Michele Borba offers advice for dealing with children's difficult behavior and hot...

Continue Learning about Teens (12-18)

Physical Activity Linked to Healthy Metabolic Profiles in Teens
As a high school junior, Baker Mayfield was the starting quarterback for the Lake Travis Cavaliers football team in Austin, Texas. He led those Cavs t...
What are some signs that my child is a victim of cyberbullying?
Dr. Michele BorbaDr. Michele Borba
Tune into your children closer. Look for these possible signs of cyberbullying, but do know there ma...
When should I start talking to my child about her body?
You can begin the discussion with your child about the human body as soon as he or she is old enough...
The Case Against Adderall, Pt 5
The Case Against Adderall, Pt 5