How can I prepare my teenager for hospitalization?

Begin preparing your teenager for hospitalization a couple weeks to a month ahead of time. This will give your teenager time to prepare, talk to family and friends and gather information.

For teenagers, independence is very important, so encourage your teenager to ask questions of doctors and nurses and to be as involved with self care as is appropriate. Give as much information as you think your teen can handle and reinforce positive coping mechanisms. Respect your teenager's need for privacy, and also help him or her keep in contact with school and friends. Encourage your teenager to make phone calls to friends, Skype and/or email. They can even hang pictures of their friends on their hospital room walls and have friends visit.

This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Teens (12-18)

Teens' All-Night Texting
Teens' All-Night Texting
The use of smartphones for communication is near ubiquitous in teenagers. It’s bad enough that they’re texting, tweeting, updating their Facebook page...
What gynecological problems can affect teenage girls?
Dr. Scott C. Makemson, MDDr. Scott C. Makemson, MD
Adolescent gynecology conditions can include: breast masses abnormal puberty, precocious (early)...
What are some signs that my child is a victim of cyberbullying?
Dr. Michele BorbaDr. Michele Borba
Tune into your children closer. Look for these possible signs of cyberbullying, but do know there ma...
How Parent's Work Schedules Affect Kids' Weight