How can I prepare my teenager for hospitalization?

Begin preparing your teenager for hospitalization a couple weeks to a month ahead of time. This will give your teenager time to prepare, talk to family and friends and gather information.

For teenagers, independence is very important, so encourage your teenager to ask questions of doctors and nurses and to be as involved with self care as is appropriate. Give as much information as you think your teen can handle and reinforce positive coping mechanisms. Respect your teenager's need for privacy, and also help him or her keep in contact with school and friends. Encourage your teenager to make phone calls to friends, Skype and/or email. They can even hang pictures of their friends on their hospital room walls and have friends visit.

This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Teens (12-18)

How to Reduce Risky Driving Behavior in Teens
In the 1950 driver’s education film, Last Date, actor Dick York plays Nick, a bad boy who drives recklessly. A peer warns Nick he’s destined to commit...
What are some pain management and distraction techniques for teenagers?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some pain management and distraction techniques for teenagers include the following: conversatio...
How can I help my teenager cope with hospitalization?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
To help your teenager cope with hospitalization, try the following: respect and maintain privacy...
How Parent's Work Schedules Affect Kids' Weight