How can I prepare my teenager for hospitalization?

Begin preparing your teenager for hospitalization a couple weeks to a month ahead of time. This will give your teenager time to prepare, talk to family and friends and gather information.

For teenagers, independence is very important, so encourage your teenager to ask questions of doctors and nurses and to be as involved with self care as is appropriate. Give as much information as you think your teen can handle and reinforce positive coping mechanisms. Respect your teenager's need for privacy, and also help him or her keep in contact with school and friends. Encourage your teenager to make phone calls to friends, Skype and/or email. They can even hang pictures of their friends on their hospital room walls and have friends visit.

This content originally appeared on the Alliance for Kids website.

Continue Learning about Teens (12-18)

Protecting Children from the Opioid Epidemic
The old saying “curiosity killed the cat” dates back to the middle of the 16th century. And the idea “cats have nine lives” may predate that. Some bel...
What are some pain management and distraction techniques for teenagers?
Alliance For Kids®Alliance For Kids®
Some pain management and distraction techniques for teenagers include the following: conversatio...
How does the brain change during the teenage years?
Robert J. Hedaya, MDRobert J. Hedaya, MD
During the teen years, under the influence of massive new hormonal messages, as well as current need...
The HealthCorps Curriculum
The HealthCorps Curriculum