How can I find out if I'm a supertaster or an undertaster?

Two easy tests can tell you whether you're a supertaster or undertaster.

The Saccharin Test: Mix one pack of saccharin (Sweet'N Low) into two-thirds of a cup of water (that's about the size of the tennis ball). Now, taste the water. You'll probably taste a mix of both bitter and sweet, but see which taste is stronger. If sweet is dominant, then it means you're likely a supertaster, and if bitter is dominant, it means you're more likely an undertaster. If it's a tie, you are like half the population, so don't sweat it.

The Blue Tongue Test: Wipe a swab of blue food dye on your tongue and see the small circles of pink-colored tissue that polka-dot the newly painted blue canvas—those are your papillae. Then put a piece of paper—with a 4-mm hole, or the size of a hole-punch in three-ring paper—over your tongue. Using a magnifying glass, count the little pink dots you see in the hole. If you have fewer then five dots, it means you're an undertaster, while more than 30 indicates you're probably a supertaster.

Both supertasters and undertasters have their own specific health risks and concerns.
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

How is sensitivity to taste measured?
Taste sensitivity depends on the number of taste receptors on taste buds and the number of taste bud...
Is it normal to have an enlarged taste bud on my tongue?
Watch this video to learn more from Dr. Mehmet Oz about taste buds.  
How many taste buds do I have?
The average person has 10,000 taste buds, which are onion-shaped structures. People regenerate new t...
What is Umami?
How we taste is important because taste, not smell, gives you the nutritional information of foo...