How is sensitivity to taste measured?

Taste sensitivity depends on the number of taste receptors on taste buds and the number of taste buds on the tongue. To measure this, scientists use a wafer that contains a drop of a chemical called 6-n-propylthiouracil, or PROP, which has a nasty bitter taste. Placing this on the human tongue can send a super-taster through the roof, while non-tasters just taste the paper.

Statistically, most people fall in the middle, while 25% are non-tasters and 25% super-tasters. You won't be able to get PROP without a prescription but you can do a non-scientific experiment at home using blue food coloring. Since taste buds won't stain you can see the bumps; 30 dots or more means you are a super-taster, less then 5, an under-taster.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

What are my chances of losing my sense of taste altogether?
Hypogeusia is usually temporary and typically clears up when the underlying cause is treated. Hypoge...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with hypogeusia?
Those with hypogeusia may find eating less enjoyable because of their reduced ability to taste flavo...
Does my sense of taste affect my weight?
Your tongue-related genetics may play a big role in why you're overweight -- or at greater risk for ...
Can hypogeusia have any complications?
Hypogeusia is usually the symptom of an underlying condition. However, it can lead to complications ...