How is sensitivity to taste measured?

Taste sensitivity depends on the number of taste receptors on taste buds and the number of taste buds on the tongue. To measure this, scientists use a wafer that contains a drop of a chemical called 6-n-propylthiouracil, or PROP, which has a nasty bitter taste. Placing this on the human tongue can send a super-taster through the roof, while non-tasters just taste the paper.

Statistically, most people fall in the middle, while 25% are non-tasters and 25% super-tasters. You won't be able to get PROP without a prescription but you can do a non-scientific experiment at home using blue food coloring. Since taste buds won't stain you can see the bumps; 30 dots or more means you are a super-taster, less then 5, an under-taster.

This content originally appeared on doctoroz.com

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

How can I find out if I'm a supertaster or an undertaster?
Two easy tests can tell you whether you're a supertaster or undertaster. The Saccharin Test: Mix on...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with hypogeusia?
Those with hypogeusia may find eating less enjoyable because of their reduced ability to taste flavo...
Can hypogeusia have any complications?
Hypogeusia is usually the symptom of an underlying condition. However, it can lead to complications ...
What medications can change my sense of taste?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some medications can cause a bitter or metallic taste or affect the ability to taste. Among them...