How many taste buds do I have?

The average person has 10,000 taste buds, which are onion-shaped structures. People regenerate new taste buds every three to 10 days, but they regenerate at a slower rate as people get older. Elderly people may only have 5,000 taste buds. And while the majority of taste buds are located on your tongue, you also have taste buds on your throat, the roof of your mouth, and your pharynx.

Picture of tongue
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

How does true hunger affect my sense of taste?
Joel H. Fuhrman, MDJoel H. Fuhrman, MD
It is important to experience how much more enjoyable it is to eat when we are truly hungry. Then we...
What increases my risk for hypogeusia?
Risk factors for hypogeusia include heavy smoking, dehydration, and the use of some prescription dru...
What medications can change my sense of taste?
American Dental AssociationAmerican Dental Association
Some medications can cause a bitter or metallic taste or affect the ability to taste. Among them...
What do I need to know about caring for someone with hypogeusia?
Those with hypogeusia may find eating less enjoyable because of their reduced ability to taste flavo...