How many taste buds do I have?

The average person has 10,000 taste buds, which are onion-shaped structures. People regenerate new taste buds every three to 10 days, but they regenerate at a slower rate as people get older. Elderly people may only have 5,000 taste buds. And while the majority of taste buds are located on your tongue, you also have taste buds on your throat, the roof of your mouth, and your pharynx.

Picture of tongue
YOU: On A Diet Revised Edition: The Owner's Manual for Waist Management

For the first time in our history, scientists are uncovering astounding medical evidence about dieting -- and why so many of us struggle with our weight and the size of our waists. Now researchers...

Continue Learning about Taste & The Nervous System

What do I need to know about caring for someone with hypogeusia?
Those with hypogeusia may find eating less enjoyable because of their reduced ability to taste flavo...
What are the treatment options for hypogeusia?
Hypogeusia is often temporary and may resolve itself. If your hypogeusia is the result of an infecti...
How can I train my taste buds to like healthy food?
It takes only about two weeks for your taste buds to learn to like a new food. Therefore, if you are...
How can I find out if I'm a supertaster or an undertaster?
Two easy tests can tell you whether you're a supertaster or undertaster. The Saccharin Test: Mix on...