What is a temper tantrum?

Temper tantrums are normal in young children, however, they could be difficult to manage, upsetting to parents and educators and lead to more severe challenges in older children.  It is important to understand how to respond to temper tantrums to prevent long-term consequences.

In very young children tantrums can occur when children are unable to communicate their needs. They may engage in crying, yelling or hitting.  Helping children learn ways to communicate more effectively will reduce tantrum behavior.  Model these appropriate skills and provide positive praise and rewards for success. 

Other children tantrum as a way to gain attention from adults, escape a demand placed on them, or gain access to a desired item.  Through experience they learned that a tantrum leads to this result.  It is important to remain calm, ignore when appropriate, never give in to a tantrum and remain consistent. Children will learn that tantrum behavior will not lead to their desired outcome and tantrums will diminish over time.

Continue Learning about Tantrums & Toddlers

What steps should I take after my child has a temper tantrum?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Temper tantrums—those annoying kid wails and frails and meltdowns—are most common amongst toddlers e...
What is the best way to curb my child's tantrums and meltdowns?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is a simple behavior makeover to stop those annoying kid tantrums and meltdowns:   1. Your best...
How can I stop my child’s temper tantrum before the meltdown?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
What Are Some Proven Techniques for Preventing Tantrums?