When should teens get the flu shot?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
Teens should get the flu shot because they are at higher risk for getting the flu. One reason is that teens and younger children are more likely than adults to be in crowded situations like schools, camps or team sports.  Because of this, teens are more likely to be exposed to the flu virus than adults. One way to protect yourself from the flu as a teen is to get the flu shot.
Teens should get the flu shot as soon as it's available in their community. Flu season typically runs from October to May, with January and February the peak months for infection, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. It can take two weeks for the body to develop antibodies to flu virus, so anyone will be best protected by getting vaccinated before or soon after flu season sets in.

Continue Learning about Teen Perspective: Taking Care of Your Body

How can putting an antibiotic medicine on teen skin clear up acne?
MDLIVEMDLIVE
Teenage acne is a dermatologic condition in which the pores become clogged with excess production of...
How can I treat sprains and bruises with essential oils if I'm a teen?
Daphne OzDaphne Oz
You can use aromatherapy essential oils in compresses for muscle sprains or bruises. Simply soak...
How Should I Prepare My Teen for Her First Period?
As a Teen, When Should I First Go to the Gynecologist?