Can I smoke cigarettes before I have surgery?

You should stay off cigarettes for as long as you can before and after surgery. This will help you have the best possible results from your surgery. For example, quitting will reduce the chances you will have problems like a wound infection after the operation. It is especially important that you not smoke the morning of surgery -- just like you don’t eat the morning of surgery, don’t smoke.

Many people find that surgery is also an excellent opportunity to quit smoking for good because most people do not have cravings for cigarettes while in the hospital, and your chances of successfully quitting are almost doubled if you try it around the time of surgery.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What is endoscopic mucosal resection?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Our surgeons treat patients with very early esophageal cancer with endoscopic mucosal resection (EMR...
How is nasal-septal reconstruction performed?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
To repair the septum, the surgeon makes an incision (cut) inside your nose to separate the nasal lin...
Why is deep brain stimulation surgery performed in multiple stages?
Nader Pouratian, MDNader Pouratian, MD
Deep brain stimulation surgery is a two-stage procedure. The first surgery is done while you're awak...
What advancements are being made in lung surgery?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Advancements in lung surgery include the use of robotics. This technique aids the ability of surgeon...