Can I smoke cigarettes before I have surgery?

You should stay off cigarettes for as long as you can before and after surgery. This will help you have the best possible results from your surgery. For example, quitting will reduce the chances you will have problems like a wound infection after the operation. It is especially important that you not smoke the morning of surgery -- just like you don’t eat the morning of surgery, don’t smoke.

Many people find that surgery is also an excellent opportunity to quit smoking for good because most people do not have cravings for cigarettes while in the hospital, and your chances of successfully quitting are almost doubled if you try it around the time of surgery.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

Busting Organ Donation Myths
Busting Organ Donation Myths
This summer Jeni Stepien walked down the aisle in Swissvale, PA, arm-in-arm with the man whose life was saved 10 years ago by her murdered father’s do...
What is the process when I have an operation in the hospital?
Jumo HealthJumo Health
The process of having an operation in the hospital involves several steps: Upon arrival at the ho...
What is video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS)?
Dr. Laki J. Rousou, MDDr. Laki J. Rousou, MD
Video-assisted thoracoscopic surgery (VATS) is like laparoscopic surgery, but in the chest. A small ...
What Type of Plastic Surgeries Can Be Combined?