Can I accompany my child into the operating room when she has surgery?

For most day surgeries, you can go into the operating room (OR) with your child. Parents stay with their child until he or she is asleep, then the parents are brought into the recovery room when the child is waking up.

For some surgeries, often emergencies, it's not as safe to have parents in the OR—your surgeon and your anesthesiologist will explain those special circumstances if they apply to you.

Continue Learning about Surgical Procedures

What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
What You Need to Know About Anesthesia
If you’re planning to undergo surgery or a medical procedure in the near future, you probably have questions. People often wonder if their procedure w...
Do medical schools offer low-cost surgeries?
Do medical schools offer low-cost surgeries? Medical schools may offer reduction in surgeries. Learn...
What are the reasons for having surgery?
What are the reasons for having surgery? There are two main reasons for recommending surgery. Learn ...
What surgeries can be performed in a doctor's office?
What surgeries can be performed in a doctor's office? From the simple removal of a mole to breast au...