Do I need to wear sunscreen daily?

Dr. Ellen Marmur, MD
Dermatology
These days it's so easy to incorporate sunscreen into your daily routine that there's no excuse not to wear it (at least from the collarbone up) every single day. It's difficult to find a daily moisturizer without an SPF, or sun protection factor, of at least 15. Granted, it is incredibly confusing to know what kind of sun protection product to use (Do you need sunblock or sunscreen? SPF 15 or 50?), but one thing is clear: your daily moisturizer must contain sunscreen or sunblock, and you must wear it. If the fear of skin cancer isn't enough, consider that researchers estimate that UV exposure accounts for 80 percent of the skin's aging process (sun spots, wrinkles, dry skin). In a recent survey of more than one thousand American women, more than a third believed the sun to be the number one most negative photoaging factor. But only 45 percent say they wear SPF daily to fight the signs of aging, while more than 50 percent reported using antiaging products to correct those signs. That's like closing the barn door after the horse has escaped - it's too late. The best prevention against photoaging is wearing sunscreen every day. It is the most powerful antiaging product on the market bar none.

Simple Skin Beauty: Every Woman's Guide to a Lifetime of Healthy, Gorgeous Skin

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

Can a Sunburn Be Prevented?
Can a Sunburn Be Prevented?
How Much Sunscreen Should I Wear Every Day?