What type of clothing best prevents a sunburn?

Diana Meeks
Diana Meeks on behalf of Sigma Nursing
The following are some tips to use when selecting clothing to protect you from a sunburn:
  • Choose hats with wide-brims. These will create the most shade.
  • Clothing should have a tight weave to block sun.
  • Clothing that is dark is better for sun protection.
  • Choose specialized clothing with ratings of ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) 30 or higher, when possible.

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

Are Your Meds Making You More Prone to Sunburn?
If you take certain medicines, you may also want to take some extra precautions before heading out into the sun. That’s because some drugs have the li...
Can a sunburn be prevented?
Yes, a sunburn can be prevented. It takes a little preparation, but it will help you avoid the damag...
When are the sun's rays the strongest?
Dr. Doris Day, MDDr. Doris Day, MD
Stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. The sun’s most dangerous burning rays are Ultra Vi...
How do I protect myself if I need to be in the sun during peak hours?
If you have to be in the sun during its peak hours (from 10:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.), protect yourself ...