What type of clothing best prevents a sunburn?

The type of clothing that best prevents a sunburn is clothing that covers the body while in the sun. Wearing long sleeves, long pants and a wide brim hat all helps. Covering up is superior to sunscreen. However, if long sleeves, long pants and a wide brim hat cannot be worn, sunscreen should be applied and reapplied as directed on the container.
The following are some tips to use when selecting clothing to protect you from a sunburn:
  • Choose hats with wide-brims. These will create the most shade.
  • Clothing should have a tight weave to block sun.
  • Clothing that is dark is better for sun protection.
  • Choose specialized clothing with ratings of ultraviolet protection factor (UPF) 30 or higher, when possible.

Continue Learning about Sunburn Prevention

The New Science of Sun Protection
The New Science of Sun Protection
Got a love-hate relationship with your sunscreen? You’re not alone. We plunk down nearly $400 million a year on sun-care products in bottles, cans, tu...
How can I protect my lips in the sun?
Choose a lip balm with a sun protection factor (SPF) of at least 15. When using any sunscreen pr...
How much sun exposure constitutes enough for sunscreen wear?
Anytime your skin is exposed to the sun, it's at risk. Anytime your skin will be uncovered and in th...
Can a Sunburn Be Prevented?
Can a Sunburn Be Prevented?