Why are tanning salons popular with teenagers?

Audrey Kunin, MD
Dermatology
Worldwide studies ranging from Baylor University in Texas to Italy and Sweden have repeatedly shown that the vast majority of teenagers surveyed were unaware of the potential dangers associated with the use of tanning beds. And while a significant number of those teens had already experienced significant damage to their skin, at least those under the age of 16 were more willing to modify their behavior when educated about these risks.

Yet far too many teens are finding their way into tanning beds on a routine basis, partly because as a group they equate being tan as being "cool" and partly because they are often times the direct target of intentional marketing. A tanning salon not far from my home puts out a sign offering $5.00 tanning sessions to students who show their I.D.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Can Music Therapy Help Ease Parkinson's Symptoms?
When Michael J. Fox rocked out on Johnny B. Goode with Cold Play during a concert at New Jersey’s MetLife Stadium in July 2016 it was wonderful to hea...
Is it dangerous to put sunscreen on my infant?
It's best to keep babies who are under six months old out of direct sunlight. Dress them in sun ...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat.
Busting Sunscreen Myths
Busting Sunscreen Myths