Should I wear a hat in the sun?

Diana K. Blythe, MD
Pediatrics
If you are going to be out in the sun, sunscreen of at least SPF30 is a must. However, there are other things you can do. Try sitting in the shade or wearing a wide-brimmed hat. Also, avoid being outside in the hours just before and just after noon.

Continue Learning about Sun Care

Can lycopene help protect skin from sun damage?
By now you know the importance of wearing sunscreen to protect yourself from sun damage that can l...
What tanning lotions should I avoid?
Some lotions and creams contain oils that increase your skin's ability to absorb UV rays, speeding u...
How do I choose a sunscreen?
Debra J. Wattenberg, MDDebra J. Wattenberg, MD
When choosing a sunscreen, the product should have an SPF of 30, it should provide broad-spectrum pr...
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii6 All-Natural Ways to Protect Your Skin in Hawaii
From sunburns to melasma, here's how to beat the heat. Hot, humid, tropical weather can lead to major skin problems. Too much time in the sun can caus...