Why should I enter treatment if I have attempted suicide?

Western research shows that 90 percent of persons who die by suicide or have made at least one suicide attempt have at least one mental disorder when they die, and 80 percent of persons who die by suicide are untreated. Most depression is untreated or under-treated, even after suicide attempts.
Thus, treating mental illness and providing long-term management and support for those who have made suicide attempts are major approaches to suicide prevention. Current treatment approaches include psychopharmacological treatments and psychological and psychosocial interventions.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

The Subtle Warning Signs of Suicide in Kids That Everyone Should Know
There’s a troubling new health trend among kids, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). After years of relative...
How to Spot These Subtle Warning Signs of Suicide
More than 47,000 people took their own lives in 2017, making suicide the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, according to the Centers fo...
Is suicide common among children and young people?
Joane GoodroeJoane Goodroe
The following was published by Health and Human Services: http://www.hhs.gov/news/healthbeat/2012/01...
Is it normal to have thoughts of suicide?
Ms. Marcia StarkmanMs. Marcia Starkman
I remember a poster I saw years ago, in a clinician's office. It said, "Suicide. Keep it a question....