What are global statistics on suicide?

The following statistics illustrate the extent of the global problem on suicide:
  • One million suicides per year, every year
  • Suicide attempts amounting to 10-20 times as many suicides
  • Five to six people estimated to be affected directly by each suicidal person's behavior
  • Strong multiplier effect leading to 100-120 million people impacted by suicide each year
  • More suicides each year than deaths by war and homicides combined
  • Significant source of economic loss where suicide death and attempts affect productive life years

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

The Subtle Warning Signs of Suicide in Kids That Everyone Should Know
There’s a troubling new health trend among kids, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). After years of relative...
News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
Anthony Bourdain, chef, author and host of CNN's Parts Unknown, has died by apparent suicide. The network reports the 61-year-old was found Friday mor...
What questions should I ask a person who may be considering suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
You must be absolutely sincere in your approach to a potentially suicidal person. Don't be afraid to...
Should I talk to my child about a teen’s suicide?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Though we want to protect our own children from such horrific news, please don’t. Our children n...