How can I cope with people's reactions to a relative's attempted suicide?

Neighbors or other people you know may ask about your relative who attempted suicide. Telling them can be difficult for you and difficult for the person you are telling. They may be truly upset and shocked or stunned by the news. A difficult silence may ensue, but try to keep the conversation going. They will likely have genuine interest in your family and you may value their contact.
People who discriminate against you and your relative because of mental illness, or because of suicide, are generally uninformed about the nature of mental illness and suicide. It is best to ignore unpleasant comments or behaviors. This is the time to call upon close friends to support and sustain you.
Approach those who would avoid you with dignity. Your grief may be such that you will not even notice the reactions of people around you at the beginning. Your turmoil of emotions may mean that you really cannot worry about what others think.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
News: Anthony Bourdain Dead at 61
Anthony Bourdain, chef, author and host of CNN's Parts Unknown, has died by apparent suicide. The network reports the 61-year-old was found Friday mor...
How to Spot These Subtle Warning Signs of Suicide
More than 47,000 people took their own lives in 2017, making suicide the 10th leading cause of death in the United States, according to the Centers fo...
How common is suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
Almost one million lives are lost yearly due to suicide, which translates to 3,000 suicide deaths ev...
What should I do if my child says something that sounds suicidal?
Hal RunkelHal Runkel
If your child says something that sounds suicidal, such as, "I don't want to be here" or "I'm going ...