How can I cope with people's reactions to a relative's attempted suicide?

Neighbors or other people you know may ask about your relative who attempted suicide. Telling them can be difficult for you and difficult for the person you are telling. They may be truly upset and shocked or stunned by the news. A difficult silence may ensue, but try to keep the conversation going. They will likely have genuine interest in your family and you may value their contact.
People who discriminate against you and your relative because of mental illness, or because of suicide, are generally uninformed about the nature of mental illness and suicide. It is best to ignore unpleasant comments or behaviors. This is the time to call upon close friends to support and sustain you.
Approach those who would avoid you with dignity. Your grief may be such that you will not even notice the reactions of people around you at the beginning. Your turmoil of emotions may mean that you really cannot worry about what others think.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

What should I do if I have thoughts of suicide?
Ileen CravenIleen Craven
Pain comes in many forms and though many are taught about physical pain, there is less conversation ...
What is suicide?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
Suicide is the intentional, and often violent, ending of one's own life - before one's time. For tho...
Who can I talk to about a suicide attempt?
If you have "interrupted" a suicide attempt, or believe one is about to happen, do not wait - dial 9...
What are warning signs that my loved one may be about to attempt suicide?
Take action if your loved one who has depression begins talking about death or committing suicid...