Can I talk someone out of attempting suicide?

In general people want to live, and by using a caring approach to finding out what has brought the person to this situation and by learning how to approach a person who is considering suicide, the event may be averted in some cases. In persons with mental illness it is useful to speak about the amazing research that is now happening that will provide better medications and treatment to help their symptoms and promote recovery.

Continue Learning about Suicide & Suicidal Behavior

How to Help Someone Who Is Contemplating Suicide
Suicide is more common in our country than murder, says Jeff Sommers, MD, a psychiatrist from Henrico Doctors' Hospital in Richmond, Virginia. “We hav...
What is self-embedding disorder?
Deborah Serani, PsyDDeborah Serani, PsyD
Self-Embedding Disorder takes the behavior of cutting a step further by introducing an object or...
How can I help a relative who has attempted suicide?
World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)World Federation For Mental Health (WFMH)
The skills we need for approaching a person who attempted suicide are ones that do not generally com...
Why should I take my loved one's suicide attempt seriously?
Maureen Q. Russell, MPH, RNMaureen Q. Russell, MPH, RN
We should all take someone's suicide attempt seriously. Having a history of suicide attempt(s) place...