How can a pediatrician help my teen deal with a substance abuse problem?

A pediatrician's role in dealing with teenagers who have drinking, cigarette, or substance abuse, is to develop a rapport with the patient, which is nice about our job. We've actually seen them hopefully since they were infants, and they actually trust us and know us at that point. They have a right to confidentiality. We usually talk to them alone so they feel comfortable telling us what they're involved in, in which we encourage them to talk to their parents but do not do that for them. We can also give them resources, talk to them about the dangers of alcohol, cigarette, and substance abuse and hopefully lead them in the right direction. We are kind of a nonjudgmental person in their life who can hopefully be a positive influence for them.

A pediatrician can help your teen deal with a substance abuse problem by directing your teen to the appropriate resources to deal with teens and substance abuse issues.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse In Teens

What can I do to protect my teen from cough medication abuse?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
Here is what you can do to protect your teen from cough medication abuse:Check your medicine cabinet...
Why is alcohol whipped cream dangerous for teens?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
There is a new whipped cream product called "whipohol" or "alcoholic whipped cream" that is sold...
The Designer Drug More Potent Than Cocaine
The Health Risks of Taking Flakka
The Health Risks of Taking Flakka