How can a pediatrician help my teen deal with a substance abuse problem?

A pediatrician's role in dealing with teenagers who have drinking, cigarette, or substance abuse, is to develop a rapport with the patient, which is nice about our job. We've actually seen them hopefully since they were infants, and they actually trust us and know us at that point. They have a right to confidentiality. We usually talk to them alone so they feel comfortable telling us what they're involved in, in which we encourage them to talk to their parents but do not do that for them. We can also give them resources, talk to them about the dangers of alcohol, cigarette, and substance abuse and hopefully lead them in the right direction. We are kind of a nonjudgmental person in their life who can hopefully be a positive influence for them.

A pediatrician can help your teen deal with a substance abuse problem by directing your teen to the appropriate resources to deal with teens and substance abuse issues.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse In Teens

When should I talk to my child about drinking alcohol?
The pre-teen and early teen years are a great time to talk to your kids about drinking. Between the ...
How does stress affect drug use and drinking in teenage girls?
Michele BorbaMichele Borba
There is a direct correlation between stress and teenage alcohol abuse among girls. The 2009 Nationa...
The Impact of Designer Drugs
The Impact of Designer Drugs
Why Designer Drugs Are Attractive
Why Designer Drugs Are Attractive