What are painkiller withdrawal symptoms?

After surgery, many patients go home from hospital on strong pain medication, for example, OxyContin or morphine extended release. They use these medications until they run out only to discover strange reactions in their body. Stopping narcotics abruptly can cause you to feel anxious, jittery, and make you feel like jumping out of your skin. You may notice diarrhea, nausea, insomnia, yawning, runny nose, and back pain. It is highly unpleasant. You can experience narcotic withdrawal after having only been on pain medications for a few days to weeks.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

What is heroin?
Heroin, also known on the street as smack, horse, H, junk or scag, is the most commonly abused narco...
How can I identify harmful substance use or addiction?
James SmithJames Smith
You can identify any harmful addiction by being aware of the following indicators:Stages/symptoms:Ea...
Can I quit using drugs on willpower alone?
Boston Women's Health Book CollectiveBoston Women's Health Book Collective
Learning to live without drugs is not about willpower; it's about finding the personal support and n...
What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?
What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?