What options do I have if I can't recover from my substance use disorder?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

There are several substance abuse treatment options. You can consider a live-in or drop-in programs that include counseling and some medical treatment. Group counseling offers you the support of others who share your problem, but you may prefer one-on-one counseling if you don’t like talking in groups. Twelve-step programs such as Alcoholics Anonymous and Narcotics Anonymous offer free support through the recovery process.

If your problem requires medical care and counseling as you withdraw, you may want to attend a live-in treatment center for about 30 days. If you choose the days-only program, you may need to devote longer than a month towards your recovery.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How Is Substance Abuse of Prescription Drugs Treated?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?
What Are the Signs of Drug Addiction?
How Can I Identify Harmful Substance Use or Addiction?