What is withdrawal?

Howard J. Shaffer, PhD
Addiction Medicine
Withdrawal refers to a range of typical symptoms that vary depending on the substance or activity in question. These symptoms often reflect the opposite of the high. How long withdrawal symptoms last and how severe they are depends on which substance (or activity) a person uses, at what dose, and for how long. The fear of withdrawal symptoms sometimes makes people nervous about stopping or lowering their dose. That's sometimes true even for people who no longer derive pleasure from their object of addiction.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Stopping Addiction Before It Gets Started
In Joseph Heller’s 1961 novel Catch-22, a bomber pilot is considered insane if he continually flies combat missions without asking to be relieved from...
What substances can trigger addictive physiology?
Kelly TraverKelly Traver
While the word addiction may make you think of smoking, alcohol, cocaine, or methamphetamine, there ...
How can my environment affect my response to drugs and alcohol?
Howard J. Shaffer, PhDHoward J. Shaffer, PhD
The social and environmental context within which a person uses a psychoactive substance (any su...
Can You Stop Addiction with Financial Incentives?