What is an addiction psychiatrist?

Addiction psychiatrists are medical doctors with general psychiatry training, as well as additional training in diagnosing and treating people with addictions. The most common types of addiction include alcohol and drug addiction, including addiction to nicotine. But addiction psychiatrists may also treat people with other addictions, such as gambling or sex addiction. To treat addiction, addiction psychiatrists may prescribe medications and provide psychotherapy. In some cases, they may also admit people to the hospital or outpatient programs for treatment. They may also diagnose and treat people with other mental health issues, in addition to addiction. To become certified as addiction specialists, they usually complete a residency or fellowship in addiction medicine, following their general medical and psychiatry training. In the US, they can be board certified by the American Board of Addiction Medicine or the American Board of Psychology and Neurology.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Do You Have a Binge Eating or Drinking Problem?
From eating to drinking, Americans have a problem with binging. One in six Americans binge drinks—that means, having four or more drinks if you’re a w...
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
How Is Substance Abuse of Prescription Drugs Treated?
How Can I Help Someone Who Is Addicted to Drugs?