What is addiction recovery?

George Joseph
Addiction Medicine
Overcoming an addiction is complex and can be overwhelming at first; however, with professional help and proper support, the recovery process becomes less threatening and more exciting as each day goes by. When addiction enters one’s life, it affects all areas – personal, family, friends, work, etc. The recovery process is about change, including changing the way an addicted person sees, feels, processes and communicates to themselves and others. Recovery challenges the person to find ways of solving problems within their life and ways of living their life without using substances. Willpower is a myth that many people think is the tool for recovery. It has nothing to do with willpower - it has everything to do with releasing the control and accepting help from others. It is imperative that persons wanting sobriety find the best way to receive a secure, solid base and layers of positive change. Treatment provides the foundation and tools for ongoing success.
Anthony Beck
Addiction Medicine
When someone identifies themselves as an addict or an alcoholic and has stopped using or drinking, they are in recovery from their addiction or alcoholism.
Robert Rozsay
Addiction Medicine
With the multitude of addictions available in society, recovery can take on a couple of different aspects. For instance, drug, alcohol and gambling addictions require that you abstain completely from the destructive behavior. On the other hand, food, spending and relationship addictions require moderation. Recovery begins when the "pain" or the underlying reason for the damaging behavior is addressed and sober thinking begins to support healthy change.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

How to Help a Recovering Addict
How to Help a Recovering Addict
Recovery is different for everyone, but it’s a process in which individuals work to create a positive change in their overall behavior, outlook and id...
What can I do if I think I've become addicted to opioids?
St Francis Medical CenterSt Francis Medical Center
If you think you've become addicted to opioids there are resources out there that can help with wean...
How does methamphetamine use affect the body?
Following are some of the effects that methamphetamine use has on the body: nausea, vomiting, dia...
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?
Do Young Adults Understand Risk?