What can help me avoid relapsing if I quit smoking or another addiction?

Dr. Mike Dow, PsyD
Addiction Medicine
It's fairly easy for an ex-smoker to resist lighting up after he's quit for two years, but if he gets fired and is simultaneously going through a divorce, that cigarette starts to sound pretty irresistible. Stress-relieving and happiness-promoting activities are important for all of us to have in our daily lives. Because when we do get fired or dumped, we need to have those healthy rituals we can turn to. If friendships are strong, a phone call may be the thing that prevents the ex-smoker from lighting up again.

Continue Learning about Substance Abuse and Addiction

Hidden Hookah Dangers
Hidden Hookah Dangers
The use of hookahs -- pipes that bubble tobacco smoke through water before you puff -- doubled among middle- and high-schoolers in just one year. Now ...
What should I do if I have a relapse into addiction?
If you experience a relapse during your recovery from substance abuse, don't give up. Call your spon...
Why do I need counseling to quit drinking/using drugs?
Fredrick WadeFredrick Wade
Counseling is needed to learn how to live your life again without turning to substances to manage th...
What Common Addiction Behaviors Fascinate You?